This Blog displays messages that Colonel Bill's Wargames Depot posts upon it's Facebook Page, and will sometimes feature other snippets of information as and when received.

Saturday, 16 September 2017

Secret Santa 2017 -- [under, temporary, new management - aka, me]

The other day Ian Willey posted over on his blog [LINK] that he and his wife wouldn't be running a Secret Santa this year, to which I did offer to run the event, in a caretaker capacity, and allow it to continue. So far, my offer as been accepted by Ian and I've just sent off an email to Ian and his wife, so details can be passed along to me from previous years.

So what happens now? Well, it looks like Secret Santa 2017 is going ahead. So if you want to take part, here's the details that Ian set out in previous years.
Each person joining in the Secret Santa are given a name and details of their target (your being selected for someone else to buy for). The spend should be around £15 or equivalent plus postage, we try to pick someone in your own Country as a target, but you can always buy via the internet in your targets country to cut down cost.

Below are the rules in a little more detail.

1. To enter you need to either have a blog or be a regular follower of this blog already. This is to give confidence to all involved that everyone will follow through to the end. If you have a blog and don't follow this one it's OK to join in.

2. The present should be around £15 plus postage (best to buy the present actually in the country the receiver lives in, so cutting down postage costs)

3. It's OK to have a wish list, but it's just as good to buy something you think the person would like. Blog details of your target are given so you can snoop.

4. Whilst it's not essential, it really does help when the buying participant checked in with the organiser to let them know the target had incoming.

5. You should promote the Secret Santa on your blog to hopefully increase the numbers joining in.

6. You should sign up by Sunday 22nd October, so to allow time for picking gifts.

7. Gifts should arrive no later than 20th December, if possible. It's fine to get the supplier to send direct to the target - though getting them to add 'Secret Santa' on the address, or parcel somewhere, helps to ensure the gift is not opened before Christmas. 

8. Item/s should be wargame related, though it's OK to throw in something odd if you want to.

Well that's all I can think of at the moment regards rules etc. You have right up to the 22nd of October to sign up but I would appreciate some early birds as it makes organising it that much easier. I will need the blog name and an e-mail address for you (plus your real name)

You can sign up by sending me an email via the gadget to the right of the posts or details in the comments section.  Those returning, if you could let me know your details, please, just in case they somehow get lost in the hand-over from Ian and Cath to me. 

And that should be about it. I have taken part in Secret Santa in the past, so do have experience of Ian's event. I will also point out that Secret Santa 2017 is in no way associated with Colonel Bill's Wargames Depot - I (Roy) am running it privately and separately from my duties to Colonel Bill's, so please don't contact Colonel Bill's with Secret Santa enquiries to take part - you need to contact me through this blog or via email.

For those unfamiliar with me, I am active on several forums (using the username Roy Williamson) and have been blogging since 2012 - though this blog does get regularly 'spring cleaned' and old posts no longer relevant removed. I am from Catterick Garrison in the North East of England, and have previously been a member of four wargames clubs (historical and GW) and been enjoying the hobby since 1993. I'm in my mid-30s and previously worked in the construction industry as a carpenter/joiner, though at present am recovering from illness.
Me (on the right), working Gateshead show 2017
Picture courtesy of 'Zabadak'

30 comments:

  1. No offense intended but I have already decided not to take part this year. Absolutely NOTHING to do with you old boy. Nor am I going to take part in Santa Claus either and may not take part in the analogue painting challenge this time around either.
    I want to be clear nothing to do with you at all. My mind was made up in March for definite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Clint: No worries, Clint. I didn't take part in any of the events you've listed last year, so I'm not one who can make comment on anybody taking part or not.

      All I'm doing is allowing the opportunity for SS to continue for 2017, but should nobody wish to take part (for whatever reasons) it won't upset me at all.

      Delete
  2. Roy, stepping up to the plate in time of need is admirable.
    Best wishes for SS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jonathan Freitag: Thanks Jonathan

      I like to offer to help out where I can, be it regarding the hobby or not. The least I could do was offer the opportunity for SS to continue.

      Delete
  3. I want in on the Secret Santa. I am still running the Santa Clause this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chris Stoesen: Thanks for letting me know Chris. I'll put your name down and keep you updated on developments.

      Delete
    2. @Chris Stoesen: Just a quick update on events.

      Ian Willey got back to me last night via email, and it is confirmed that I will be hosting the event for 2017.

      All participants from last year will be receiving an email from Cath (Ian has said), explaining the change of organiser for 2017 and passing on my contact details so they can make contact with me, should they wish - And then, neither, Ian nor Cath passes on people's email addresses, nor any other sensitive information such as postal addresses. Which is obviously the sensible and correct procedure.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stepping up to the task! Secret Santa has really been great the last few years I've taken part! Great fun to pick someone a gift and all the excitement wondering what your package will be. Though I must say there have been some interesting choices of gift I've received. Couple of years back I got some blister for a force I don't play and that was of about 6 pounds of value. Bit of a bummer considering that I've tried to put in some christmas candies and other extra bits as well.

    Still I'll probably be back this year around as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Samuli S: Thanks for the comment - though I am sorry to hear that one of your previous experiences of the event was such a bad one.

      Here's some further information on this year's event:

      Ian Willey got back to me last night via email, and it is confirmed that I will be hosting the event for 2017.

      All participants from last year will be receiving an email from Cath (Ian has said), explaining the change of organiser for 2017 and passing on my contact details so they can make contact with me, should they wish - And then, neither, Ian nor Cath passes on people's email addresses, nor any other sensitive information such as postal addresses. Which is obviously the sensible and correct procedure.

      Samuli, should you do wish to take part this year, then you'll obviously be very welcome. Thanks again for the interest shown.

      Delete
    2. Samuli, I still remember the gingerbread chocolate you sent me a few years ago. Yum!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. @Ray Rousell: Will do Ray. Thank you.

      For Your Information:
      Ian Willey got back to me last night via email, and it is confirmed that I will be hosting the event for 2017.

      All participants from last year will be receiving an email from Cath (Ian has said), explaining the change of organiser for 2017 and passing on my contact details so they can make contact with me, should they wish - And then, neither, Ian nor Cath passes on people's email addresses, nor any other sensitive information such as postal addresses. Which is obviously the sensible and correct procedure.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with this Roy,I can't say I envy you though and just to help you with your up-coming workload I'll not be participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Thanks Joe. I've run, or organised a few Internet 'things' over the last few years so I should be alright.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for taking over, it is very much appreciated! This and Santa Clause are the highlights of Christmas for me, so I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Paul Smith: Hello Paul, thank you.

    As I've said to the people, above, if you took part in last year's SS you should be receiving an email officially explaining what is happening with this year's event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you offered to do this (though I was going to offer myself upon learning of the challenges). I participated in past years myeself and my blog is https://wordpress.com/stats/day/cryhavocwardogs.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ron Carnegie: Hello Ron, thanks for getting in touch.

      I am sorry to have to ask this, but could you, please, confirm whether you'll be taking part this year, or not?
      Maybe I've missed something in your comment, and it is best to be sure and not leave anyone disappointed due to an error on my part. Thank you

      Delete
    2. @Ron Carnegie: Thank you, I'll add your name to the list

      Delete
  10. Count me in! troubleatthemill.blogspot.com - bravo on taking this over, as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mike Whitaker: Thank you Mike. Your name has been added to the list

      Delete
  11. Too much on to support Chris' Santa scheme this year, but I can still do this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Gary Amos: Thanks Gary, your name is now on the list.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: Thanks Martin. Your name is now on the list.

      Delete
  13. Not sure if my previous post was accepted so thought better 2 than none!

    I'd like to sign up but don't have a blog. Not sure how to convince you I'm genuine and will follow up on the commitment.

    BTW posted on the Eccentric Man FB page to try to drum up more support - 9 isn't really enough.
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Lloyd Lewis: Hello Lloyd, and thank you for your interest.

      Unfortunately I don't think I can include you in this year's event, as I'm only the interim manager of the event and must abide by the rules as set out by Ian (the event's owner).

      If you are a follower of Ian's blog, and he would vouch for you, then I see no problem with you taking part in Secret Santa 2017. However, since you don't have a blog there is no method for other participants to see what you collect or what projects you are working on, so even if Ian did give the go-ahead there would still be an issue of how to proceed.

      I have found the Facebook group you've mentioned, and believe I have found yourself over on Facebook too. But I'm still stuck on how to include you in Secret Santa if Ian did give the go-ahead.

      I really am sorry, but unless you could get Ian, or another wargame blogger who personally knows you, to contact me and provide some level of trust that I could pass on to the participants, I don't believe I can include you in Secret Santa 2017.

      I really am sorry about that.
      Roy

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com