This Blog displays messages that Colonel Bill's Wargames Depot posts upon it's Facebook Page, and will sometimes feature other snippets of information as and when received.

Sunday, 25 June 2017

Forgotten Heroes: Leopard Girl #1

Forgotten Heroes 2017 entry number two. Leopard Girl.
I started off with a Crooked Dice 'Classic' Pandora King stock figure.
Sawed off the top of it's head with a razor saw.
Then used a scalpel and warding file to shape and smooth the metal - then I washed it in warm, soapy water and scrubbed the miniature clean with a toothbrush (bought for that purpose).
Using Greenstuff modelling putty I sculpted the Leopard Girl hood onto the miniature. Don't ask me how I did it, as I'm still learning as I go and am surprised it turned out as well as it did!
The tools I used were a pick (imagine the thing a dentist uses) and a shaper bought from Games Workshop years ago. I use clean tap water to help lubricate and smooth the putty while working.
I sketched out a rough image of what Leopard Girl's hood should look like - as my stupid phone wouldn't display the photo I'd taken from off the computer. Stupid technology! 
Wanting to go all fancy, like a certain Mr Awdry, I began working on the base. Supergluing some garden gravel to the base, and atop each other, smoothing out the joins and joints with modelling putty. I've even gone to the extreme of purchasing tiny 'leaves' basing material to make the basing look good. I can see I'll have to keep buying scenic basing material from now on.
The only thing I might add before painting is a couple of large teeth to the leopard, hanging down and atop Leopard Girl's forehead. But I'll make that decision next time. I've also spotted the leopard suit's neckline is right up under the chin, so I'll need to model that on, definitely. Oh, and then there's the fact the model has a belt sculpted on and boots, whereas Leopard Girl doesn't. Damn. More work.

Cheers.
Roy

18 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff, Roy, absolutely fantastic. She looks awesome, and personally I wouldn't worry about the boots and belt, I'm sure a leopard skin paint-job would easily distract the eye away from such differences. Marvellous conversion :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Blaxkleric: Thanks Simon.

      Looking at the CD sculpt it isn't as big a job as I first thought, to sort the belt and boots. Cut away the buckle and loose end of the belt, then smooth green stuff over the areas as the detail has been cut into the model and not added to it.

      Hardest part will be matching the orangy-brown paint colour.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. @Clint: Thanks Clint.

      Stu and I were both discussing, yesterday, how we both wished we had the ability to sculpt miniatures. Maybe one day I'll make an attempt at a full sculpt.

      Delete
  3. Smashing stuff Roy, the head piece has come out a treat, and as for the boots and belt, I'd be tempted to carve as much off her belt as possible and then try and take off the rest with some fine sand paper, you might even be able to sand away the boot tops too, (you might have to fill them with a touch of greenstuff first depending on how deep the indentations are. All in all though top marks sir.

    Looking forward to that paintjob (more than you I bet?). Re-posted to the FH site.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Dick Garrison: Thanks Roger.

      Yes, I tackled the belt and boots very much in the way you described. The jobs done now, basing as well, and hopefully I'll prime the mini later today.

      "Looking forward to that paintjob (more than you I bet?)."
      Yeah, that's got me laughing to myself.

      To be honest, I'm looking forward to the challenge. That is what I'm all about these days; challenging myself, painting and sculpting -wise when it comes to the hobby. Only thing that scares me is the thought of having to tackle an army or the like.

      Delete
  4. Looking very good, Roy. I'm very much looking forward t seeing the finished figure. She very much reminds me of Vampirella's colleague and occasional partner, Pantha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Bryan Scott: Cheers Bryan

      Just done a google search for "Pantha Vampirella" and the images that came back were both beautiful and inspiring. Certainly a character I'll look further into as the art work was great. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  5. That is brilliant Roy! Your choice of miniature is perfect and it already looks spot on to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Michael Awdry: Thank you Michael - I'll have to let you off as I don't know if that was an intentional pun, or not ;)

      Yes, the miniature choice certainly owes thanks to my previous Catwoman conversion.

      Delete
  6. Great work so far Roy ! I'm looking forward to see more progress ! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mario Morrhaye: Thanks Mario

      Definitely something different than painting. One day I might tackle an Asian conversion, or try for a woman in kimono or cheongsam.

      Delete
  7. what a cool and inspired idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Hils: Thank you

      Definitely going to have a go at making a wire armature at some point like you showed in your post. Though it might only be for a 10mm size figure, as I've not got the confidence yet to tackle a big 'un.

      Delete
  8. Well done Roy looking forward to seeing her completed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Matt Crump: Thanks Matt

      Conversion work is all completed now. Finding the correct colours and mastering leopard spots is next...

      Delete
  9. Great conversion Roy, very jealous of your scultping skills too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Thanks Joe.

      I've still no idea how I managed to sculpt it, to be honest. One minute it was a collection of misshapen balls of putty, then knitted together lumps, then a real mess. A quick pencil sketch of what it was meant to look like, while the putty was firming up, and then when I came back to work on it the putty was more malleable and I managed to tease it into shape. In this case, Luck played as big a part in the work as did my growing skill.

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com