This Blog displays messages that Colonel Bill's Wargames Depot posts upon it's Facebook Page, and will sometimes feature other snippets of information as and when received.

Monday, 19 October 2015

Stand To, at Shildon - Photo's From The Show

[apologies. due to the stupid vagaries of blogger, it has chosen to upload all of the photo's out of order, and with there being so many of them I'm not going to rectify this issue.] 

Stand To, at Shildon "Locomotion" National Railway Museum. 

The Cowboy game was put on by Mr Andrew Wylie - all of the buildings are made from paper!
The Romans and Celts game was by the Redcar Ironbeards.
The large Renaissance wargame was put on by the Independent Wargames Group.
The Living History team (a couple of nice chaps who I had a good chat with, and passed on some details as I'm trying to sell off a deactivated PPSH-41 sub-machine gun) I believe were depicting the 68th DLI (Durham Light Infantry) during the 1980s. 
The trader who I photographed is Asylum Wargaming. I had a good talk with the gentleman (I also had a good talk with Midlam Miniatures and Colonel Bill's trading/gaming group) and he's near-enough sold me on the Relics game system, as he tells me my local club play the game.

I have to say the venue is excellent. The museum staff and facilities a credit. However, the show really needs better advertising to bring in more visitors on the day. There's enough traders, if a couple more games could be brought together that would help, and hopefully more show-goers would help the traders and make the gamers be enthused to display again at further shows.  I did enjoy myself and spent money, so the organisers should view it as a success (of sorts). 

Darrell Hindley also went along to the show and you can read his views here:

12 comments:

  1. Seems to be a fantastic event, great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I enjoyed it, but it's a shame that it was so badly advertised/ organised. I had hoped to see the Westerhope Wargamers doing a demo as they did last year but they didn't get an invite.
    Pity!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Paul Liddle: Hello Paul
      Yes, I have to agree that a better system of advertising and show organising on the day would help. I know of quite a few traders and games who did not know about the event, or if they did they found out too late to take part.

      I've put my money where my mouth is, as it were, and made contact with the organisers, asking about putting on a game next year. I've never done this before, however, so it'll probably be a huge headache! :))

      Delete
  3. As a show it looks like it has a great deal to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Clint: Yes, definitely. With it being at a museum there is plenty of foot traffic turning up who aren't gamers/collectors but who then come and enjoy the show anyway. There is so much opportunity to bring in more hobbyists.
      The British Army is also there on the day (I forgot to photograph them).

      Delete
  4. That is a lot of photos. Some of the games look really good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Martin Cooke: Yes, I purposely took lots of photo's to try and help advertise the possibilities of the show for future prospective traders and gamers. This show has the potential to grow and be a really good day.

      I have to admit that I did want to actually play the cowboy game, but with talking to traders, shopping, talking business with Stuart, and then photographing, I just didn't find the opportunity.

      Delete
  5. I had a very good time at the show and I'll be blogging about next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Zabadak: Hello Zabadak
      Yes, I (and my family) enjoyed ourselves too. I'll look out for your blog post

      Delete
  6. Good looking show. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sean: Yes, the venue was excellent.
      I'm finally over my flu-thing, thanks. I hope you're over the worse of your aches too

      Delete

comments left on this blog will not be viewed by Colonel Bill himself (unless I email him and advise him to)

to contact the Colonel direct, email colonelbill@colonelbills.com